Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Almost 1 year!



Hello everyone :o)

I hope you all are doing WoNdErFuL!  Things on 'this side of the globe' are going well.  The season has made a strong shift from "raining every for 3 months" to "HELLO 30's in the morning and night time".  Fall has officially arrived & I am waiting for the leave change!  I've heard it is so pretty here so I am excited to witness my first "official" fall (because we all know Florida's leaves go to and from green &...dead LOL. 

This week Mike is gone in the field, about 2 hours down south.  He is doing NEO exercises/missions (kind of like preparations if NK would ever attack).  SO this week I have to myself and my two furry boys.   No cooking, cleaning...just working & having my girl time with my friends :o)  Much needed!  This picture is Shep enjoying the morning cool weather with Mike before he left!  





So a few weeks ago I bought this hideous end table from the military "flea market".  It was $10 but my PLAN was to cover it with fabric that I bought from Dongdaemun.  Dongdaemun is kind of like "old Korea" but not really haha.  It has anything you can think of from lamps, buttons, fabric, curtains, ANYTHING.  It is kind of like an industrial market.  Anyways, it is a lot of fun & very cheap.  We made the mistake of driving there versus taking the subway.  This is the epicenter of Seoul, not fun!















I know this is random but you know those sand spurs back at home that get stuck in your socks sometimes?  WELL these are MASSIVE sand spurs.  They are seriously your worst nightmare, especially when I go hiking with the dogs!  






Alright, so NOW it is time to talk about some hilarious Korean myths that they will SWEAR by.

#1 )  Fan death.  
No, seriously, they believe that...I hope you are sitting down for this...that if you are sleeping in a room and leave the fan on overnight you will suffocate and die.  I AM NOT KIDDING.  You can actually google it and it will pop up.  Wikipedia has an accurate explanation of what the Koreans believe.  Apparently I should've died YEARS ago :P

#2 )  Dog meat cures cancer
This will probably come as a surprise to many of you but yes, Koreans eat dog, typically they are stray dogs (I know HOW disgusting) but it is super rare to find in "today's culture", definitely is an old-person thing here and I bet will be gone in the next generation.  Anyhow, they are convinced that it cures cancer and makes you feel "warm" inside.  They ALSO have cat bone in their medicines here.  Yep, for as smart as these people are they sure have some WEIRD beliefs.

I will have to think of more as time goes on.


AND LAST but not least, the Korean comic strips.  They are hilarious and I will only post a few today.  One of the funniest things about living here is that some places require you to estimate your toilet paper.  Yep, you read right.  They have the roll in the restaurant, you grab what you "need" and have at it.  



I STILL laugh when I see these :o)  Ohhh the humors of living here!  These are all so very true.  More to come next time!

Hope you all are having a good start to your week and have a great weekend!  Love to you all!!!

Mike & Britt



  




No comments:

Post a Comment